PRACTICE SMART: Have several practice routines
The following practice strategies for the driving range can help you become more game ready.
- Develop and practice a pre shot routine for all areas of you game.
- Hit to targets while practicing. Know the distance to the target and this will help you determine your yardage for each club.
- Practice as if playing a game. Hit one drive, then a fairway wood, followed by a pitch and then a chip.
- Set boundaries in the range to outline what would be the width of a fairway on the golf course. Play your favorite course and imagine every shot and hole that you are playing.
- Be competitive with a friend while practicing. Use the targets at the practice range to play a simple game of who’s closest to the hole. On the practice green, play an 18-hole match play competition. Get use to being more competitive and putting your skills on the line.
- Set realistic goals for your game.
Holly Beal, University Golf Club